Air India failed, should have acted faster: Tata Sons chairman reacts to urine incident

IN HIS first remarks on the matter, N Chandrasekaran, chairman of Tata Sons and Air India, said on Sunday that the airline’s response to the incident on its New York-Delhi flight on November 26, when a a drunk man allegedly urinated on a co-passengershould have been “much faster”.

“The Air India AI102 incident on 26 November 2022 was a source of personal anguish for me and my Air India colleagues. Air India’s response should have been much quicker. We were unsuccessful. to deal with this situation as it should have been,” Chandrasekaran said in a statement.

“The Tata Group and Air India look after the safety and well-being of our passengers and crew with conviction. We will review and fix every process to prevent or deal with any incident of such an unruly nature,” he said.

Chandrasekaran’s statement came a day after the airline’s CEO, Campbell Wilson, said on Saturday the airline could have handled the situation better. He said four cabin crew and a pilot had been removed from the list and the airline was reviewing its policy of serving alcohol on flights.

As questions were raised that the airline was not immediately reporting the unruly passenger to law enforcement authorities, he advised staff to report all incidents regardless of a settlement being reached. .

Wilson’s statement also hinted at reforming the incident reporting process. “Internal investigations to determine whether there have been misconduct by other staff are underway on aspects such as the service of alcohol on the flight, incident management, recording of complaints on board and handling complaints. As a responsible airline brand, we have taken the following steps to strengthen and materially improve the way such incidents are handled in the future,” he said.

Earlier, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) called Air India’s conduct “unprofessional” and issued show cause notices to the airline and its crew operating the flight.

Air India filed a police complaint on December 28, more than a month after the incident, and police filed an FIR on January 4. The accused passenger, Shankar Mishra, was arrested by Delhi police on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *